Saudi Arabia Supports Yemen with Energy, Development Projects in 17 Sectors Worth $600 Million
During a meeting on Thursday June 30th with the President of the Yemeni Presidential Leadership Council Dr. Rashad Al Alimi and members of the council, HRH the Saudi Vice Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman announced that the Kingdom, through the Saudi Development and Reconstruction Program for Yemen, will be providing the Yemeni government with support through development projects in 17 sectors worth $400 Million, as well as and additional grant of oil derivatives worth $200 Million.
Since the formation of the Yemeni Presidential Leadership Council in April 2022, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have announced contributions that will amount to $3.6 Billion to Yemen, including $2 Billion that will be deposited in Yemen’s central bank to stabilize its currency, creating a fund to finance oil derivatives in Yemen worth $900 Million, and donating $300 Million for humanitarian organizations operating in Yemen through the King Salman Center for Humanitarian Aid and Relief.
The development projects will aid the Yemeni government in serving the Yemeni people, restoring stability and security to the country, and help with the recovery of the economy, bolstering its currency, and meeting its energy needs.
Per the announcement yesterday, the Saudi Development and Reconstruction Program for Yemen has provided the country with a grant of oil shipments worth $200 Million to secure the operations of power stations.
The support plan worth $400 Million announced yesterday will serve all governorates throughout Yemen, and includes nearly 17 projects and development programs in six vital sectors: energy, transportation, education, water, health, and building government facilities.
1. Construction of a gas station for electric generation in Aden.
2. Establishment of medium voltage electrical networks in Aden.
3. Construction of low-voltage electrical distribution networks in Aden.
4. Construction of a seawater desalination plant for the city of Aden with capacity reaching 10,000 cubic meters.
5. Implementation of phase two of the Aden International Airport Development Project.
6. Developing and raising the efficiency of navigation and communication systems at Aden International Airport.
7. Building the major sea side road and its intersections in the city of Aden.
8. Construction of solar-powered lighting systems for the roads in Aden.
9. Project to enhance the use of water resources using clean energy in Aden.
10. Building the capacity of state institutions.
11. Establishment of sports facilities for the youth in Aden.
12. Establishment of a center for the rehabilitation of disabled children in Aden.
13. Operation and management of the Republic Hospital in Aden.
14. Establishing and equipping the university hospital and cancer center at the University of Hadramout.
15. Establishment of an oncology center in Taiz governorate
16. Establishing and equipping the College of Medicine in Taiz.
17. Construction of the Taiz-Mocha road in Taiz.
The Kingdom has been the largest humanitarian and financial supporter of Yemen throughout its history, and will continue to take all necessary measures to alleviate the humanitarian crisis in Yemen and help its economy to rebound and prosper.