The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Participates in UN SDG Voluntary Review
July 27, 2018
As part of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s wider effort to develop in a manner that is aligned with long-term global aims, the Kingdom participated in the United Nation’s High-level Political Forum (HLPF) on Sustainable Development which took place from Monday, July 9 to Wednesday, July 18, 2018.
This year, the HLPF theme is: "Transformation towards sustainable and resilient societies." It aims at reviewing progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and focusing in particular on:
• Goal 6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
• Goal 7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
• Goal 11. Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
• Goal 12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
• Goal 15. Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
• Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development, that will be considered each year.
The first week included numerous panels and roundtables on the theme and on the SDGs under review. As part of the self-assessment process, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia participated in the VNR’s- Voluntary National Review, to gauge its own progress towards SDGs. The Kingdom’s delegation was led by the Ministry of Economy and Planning and was comprised of various public, as well as, private entities and NGOs, reflecting Saudi Arabia’s active collaboration with all stakeholders to achieve the SDGs by the year 2030.