Coalition Condemns Houthi Crimes
During a press conference at the Joint Forces Command in Riyadh, the official spokesman for the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen, Col. Turki Al Maliki, condemned in the strongest terms the massacre committed on July 29 by Iranian-backed Houthi terrorists in targeting unarmed civilians at the Al-Thabit market in northern Yemen.
Al Maliki said the Coalition immediately responded to a distress call from Al-Thabit tribes following the attack, and oversaw evacuation of those wounded to hospitals inside Saudi Arabia. Since then, the Kingdom has continued coordination with border tribes, providing treatment for the wounded and assistance to help victims of the terrorist crime committed by the Houthi militias.
The cynicism of the Houthi attack was underscored by the effort to incite public opinion and blame the crime on coalition countries.
These repeated acts by the Houthi militias are designed to pressure the coalition forces, but the Houthi violations have been clearly exposed, monitored and documented by the joint command of the coalition forces, he said.
Al Maliki said: "Since the the coup of the Iran-backed Houthi militias in 2014, they have systematically violated international humanitarian law and international human rights law through deliberate operations and crimes against the people of Yemen."
Al-Maliki added: "in an attempt to frame the Coalition and incite international opinion against it, the Iran-backed Houthis deliberately targeted Al Thawra Hospital in Al Hodeida and a local fish market in 2018. Last week's attacks are the latest illegal and criminal attempt to target innocent civilians for the sole purpose of blaming the Coalition.
Al-Maliki said the Houthis have recently increased their use of drones, some of them were intercepted in the Yemeni airspace while others were intercepted by Saudi Royal Air Defense Forces. He explained that the Coalition continues to secure the safe movement of international relief organizations, citing periodic reports and the UNVIM report in Djibouti, which praised the Coalition forces’ efforts to protect the Yemeni people.
Al-Maliki reviewed the efforts of the Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen, which included work on introducing solar powered lighting for roads in the province of Hajja, and the completion of the main road lighting project of Hiran. It also has secured the flow of critical food assistance and other vital aid, in partnership with King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Centre (KSrelief), which has pumped 260,000 liters of drinking water and another 325,000 of water for personal use of reservoirs.
He pointed to the continued violations of the Houthi militias, which amounted to 6346 violations through the use of various weapons, in addition to the continued firing of ballistic missiles from inside of Yemen towards the Kingdom.
Finally, Al Maliki revealed that the Iran-backed Houthi terrorist militias burned 8 tons of wheat provided by the World Food Program in Rima province, and prevented the WFP from distributing aid to the rest of the province, resulting in the exposure of 14.8 metric tons of wheat to damages. He urged humanitarian organizations to reject and publicly condemn such Houthi interference.