Dismantled terror cells had ties with foreign terrorist groups

September 3, 2014

The Ministry of Interior today released more details on the arrest of the eight-eight terrorist suspects announced yesterday.  Ministry of Interior Spokesman Maj. Gen. Mansour Al-Turki said that at a press conference earlier today that the suspects consist of ten terrorist cells, six of whom were in contact with foreign terrorist cells and working with them to recruit minors to join terrorist groups fighting abroad and one cell, comprising 51 suspects, was recruiting minors to join terrorist groups abroad.   The spokesman said the terrorist suspects were involved in a number of crimes, including planning murders, attempting to flee the country to join foreign terrorist organizations, operating as a branch of a foreign terrorist group inside Saudi and glorifying terrorist’s crimes.  Maj. Gen. Al-Turki added that some of those arrested sent their sons to terror-inflicted areas abroad. 

The spokesman said that 59 of the suspects had previously been convicted of extremism and were released after serving their prison sentences and successfully completed the de-radicalization program.  Maj. Gen Al-Turki added that 1,900 people have successfully completing the de-radicalization program.

Maj. Gen. Al-Turki stressed that Saudi Arabia is fighting terrorism at many levels and is fully committed to prevent Saudis from joining extremist and terrorist groups, either domestic or foreign.  The spokesman added that the Kingdom has criminalizing terrorist organizations, membership in such groups and any form of support given to them. Maj. Gen. Al-Turki recognized the significant contribution of ordinary Saudi citizens that made it possible to arrest the terrorist suspects by reporting suspicious activities to security agencies.

Maj. Gen. Al-Turki stressed that the work of the cells arrested depends to a large extent on fund-raising and cautioning against donating money to ambiguous groups, particularly women’s groups.

« Return