The Ministry of Interior reported today that Saudi search and recovery teams have located six more bodies of victims of the Al-Salam 98 ferry disaster, bringing the total number of bodies recovered by Saudi teams to 245. The bodies were handed over to Egyptian authorities.
The Al-Salam 98 sank in the Red Sea en route from the Saudi port of Dhiba to Safaga, Egypt February 3 with 1,398 passengers and crew on board.
The Ministry said that 16 bodies of Saudi nationals have been identified in concert with the Saudi Embassy in Cairo, and that 40 Saudi victims of the ferry disaster remain unidentified.
One Saudi survivor of the disaster arrived at King Abdulaziz International Airport on board a Saudi Arabian Airlines flight, the Ministry said. Four bodies of Saudi victims, accompanied by close relatives, were also transported to airports in Jeddah, Madinah and Riyadh.
Two of the three Saudi survivors who had been medevaced to the Jeddah King Faisal Specialist Hospital were discharged last Wednesday.