1996 News Story
 

10/26/1996
New tanker for petrochemicals named

At a ceremony yesterday in Norway, a new tanker was received by the National Petrochemicals Transport Company and named 'Al-Jubail'. Built at a cost of SR 845 million (U.S. $ 225.3 million), the new tanker is 183.2 meters long, 32.2 meters wide, and 14 meters deep, and has a loading capacity of 38,000 tons and reservoirs with a capacity of 41,220 cubic meters. With a 28-member crew, it will sail today from Europe to America and then to the Far East. It is the third of three ships built to transport Saudi liquified petrochemicals. The National Petrochemicals Transport Company is 80 percent owned by the National Shipping Company of Saudi Arabia (NSCSA) with Saudi Arabian Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC) owning the other 20 percent. Its capital is SR 500 million (U.S. $ 133.3 million), and its fleet serves more than 150 international ports.


Return